Sunday, December 15, 2013

The dying swan

A while ago I met this wonderful dancer, who gave me the honor of wanting to study with me.

Few days after a private, we were dancing at the milonga. Great fun, as always, - melting into each other's arms, who more who less ;) , while being playful and ripping the music apart. :)

Third song of the tanda, the music is getting more and more intense with the progression of the "variation", and so is our dancing. More instruments come in, the music gets faster, our feet are twirling on the floor, the embrace is getting tighter, and the breathing rapid. He freezes slightly during the final crescendo and throws himself over me on the last "pam pam", burying his head into my shoulder! For a second I just stood there in a shock, then slowly lifted up my right hand and covered his head, while awaiting to feel the inevitable trembling of his body followed by the warmth of tears. What provoked this reaction? What did the music or our dance trigger in him? Will he really cry on my shoulder in the middle of the milonga? Many times have men cried, hiding their heads in my shoulder, but non of them in a milonga!!!

After what seemed a whole, long while, he let go of me and beamed at me in a bright smile - his eyes completely dry! "What did just happen?!?", came right out of me. "I added feeling to the dance! :) YOU taught me I should do that! :) :)" Huuuuhhh?!?!?… And also, "Eeeehhhh?!?!?"… I do have pretty good recollection of what I taught him, and the "dying swan" technique was definitely not part of it!… But hey, in the end, who am I to tell him what is, or what is not a valid tango move!?… The rest of the tanda was much calmer (I wonder why… ;) ) and I have to admit I am quite happy he never repeated the lunge again. At least not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment