Friday, April 5, 2013

Seattle/Vancouver trip day 1, part 2

In Seattle, while dragging my two heavy bags up the slope, looking for the building where my temporary host lives, a stocky, old guy stopped me with the words: "This bag is exhausting you. Do you want me to give you a ride?" He did seemed dressed like the super of a building and yet all my alarm bells went off. I politely refused his help while cursing myself silently for it, since my bags were really heavy and I was stumbling over them like a little girl, when hitting one of the bumps on the quite steep slope... Luckily, it turned out that the building I was looking for was just on the other side of the street. I wonder if the guy was legit... I'll never know, but may be he was... since it seems that everybody here is nice. For example, I didn't know the person, in whose house I was staying today, and yet he let me have his key and hang out there while he was at work, and also left me his cell phone so that I would have a wireless hot spot... while his friend merrily let me sit on the front seat during our car ride to Vancouver, just because I get nauseous...

Crossing the border was somewhat nerve wracking for me because I know of cases when American tango dancers were not let into Canada. It should not be a problem that I am going to teach a few workshops and DJ once, since it is cultural exchange, but you never know if the border officer knows that too. You simply can't be sure how much trouble they might decide to make for you. Turned out to be easy. The driver was a pretty, blond girl with blue eyes and a happy smile, and the Latin looking officer was mesmerized. Lucky for me!

Then we got lost a few times, plus a pee pause on the highway, because the driver had too much coffee and water, before we made it to the Lindy-hop venue, where the others were going, and from where my host picked me up. Now, freshly showered and dressed properly it's time for my first milonga in Vancouver. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment