Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Seattle/Vancouver trip, days 3 and 4

Sunday in Vancouver was a day of work full of privates and workshops, a lot of coffee and some quickly eaten takeout sushi. Then 45min of waiting to be seated at "East is East", which is a new fusion restaurant with good food, live music, chai and tiny ordoeuvres while waiting at the door and a hostess, who comes every 5 min and says "Just two more minutes"...

BTW, did you know that the traffic lights in Vancouver blink when it's time for you go? In New York only the pedestrian lights blink and that's the sign that the signal is about to turn to "don't walk", whereas in Vancouver the light for the cars starts blinking when it turns green. Even though it surprised me quite a lot and the first time I saw it and I wasn't quite sure if the cars should stop or go in this case, actually it's a neat idea - since a lot of people don't pay a close attention to the traffic light, a blinking is more likely to make them look up.

The next day, on Monday, I took the bus to Seattle. For that matter I almost missed the bus to Seattle, because what had to be a 30min ride turned into a 58min travel. The last 2 minutes were there for me to run to the station, follow another running couple in the hopes that they are going toward the same bus company, throw my bag on the bus and leave. To get to the station I had to take two electric buses and one of them was super late, which A. gave me the opportunity to marvel at the surprisingly high number of homeless or near homeless people in that area - the Vancouver China town -, where I suppose there might have been a soup kitchen or something of the sort, in order to attract them, and B. made me realize that I don't even know what a Vancouver taxi looks like, not to mention how to call one...

Back at Seattle I got picked up and brought to the Seattle meets The Vanja dinner, where I ate frog legs for the first time. Beside being deep fried, which I don't like, they were very tasty. Then - up to the milonga. Nice music. Ha ha! Since I was the DJ I like the music for sure... and really nice dancing. There were many very good leads and follows and I had a wonderful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment