Sunday, April 21, 2013

Washington, DC trip - April 2013

Fabulous weather, spring still in (not full anymore) bloom and as always, my participation in a sunny day is limited to breakfast on the balcony, before I start teaching privates. My hosts have an awesome, little back yard with some red blooming bushes, spices in pots and a big tree. I think I can spend a whole day here, napping in the sun. :) Some other time.

The Bolt Bus ride to DC was surprisingly pleasant. These guys have definitely stepped up their game. The toilet didn't smell, the driver was polite, the internet was rather moody but mostly present, we didn't forget anyone at the rest stop in Delaware and made it to DC in 4.5h.

The first evening I taught a pivoting technique class and was surprised by the number of enthusiasts - mostly men-, who came to learn the proper timing of an ocho. I have to admit that I was very pleased I managed to win over those particular students, since older people sometimes might have a problem with a young, skinny teacher telling them to dissociate more. But they all did great and liked it. The performance that night was particularly interesting for me because I had never met my partner, Bella. She arrived around 10:15pm, we danced to tandas and at 11pm we were ready to perform on the super slippery floor of the church, where the venue was held. Here are two of the three dances we did:

Vals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnVkw740nk
Milonga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKZdsLByJgI

The second night, at Milonga Zandunga, I gave a class on how to express the lyrical parts of the music and almost teared up when I watched people slow down, listen to Rufino's voice and try
to follow it. Later I performed with the milonga organizer, who is a head taller than me, if I am in flats, and whose legs start from above my waist.  The demo was a lot of fun, since it felt like we were flying, but strangely it doesn't look like that in the video, which will probably stay unposted.

Today is my last day here and after quickly soaking up some sun I have a day full of privates and a night of DJ-ing a practilonga. My first DJ gig in DC. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment